This "Bean Post" is for my friend Lavon. We got to talking about meal planning today and I told her I would tell her how I made my beans. By the way Lavon, here is a picture of my stove. I love it and I dread the day when it finally breaks to the point of no repair.

Refried Beans
Sun Vista Pinto Beans
Bacon Grease or Cooking Oil
Pepper Jack or Monterey Jack Cheese
Salt to taste
I start off by draining some of the "bean juice" from the cans. The more juice you drain from the can the drier your end product will be. I usually drain most of the juice. But, I like my beans kinda loose.
Next, I get out my bacon grease. Usually I use a heaping teaspoon. Heat the grease so that when you dump the beans in they sizzle. While you wait for your grease (or oil) to heat up, cut the cheese (Ha Ha!!! NO! Not THAT cheese!!!) Nice chunks will do. You want them to be able to melt evenly. I don't know if that really means anything but, it's just what I do.


When your grease is hot, dump those beans in.
Wait for the beans to heat up. I use a potato masher to mash my beans. It's easier to mash the beans when they're nice and warm.After squishing the beans, add the chunks of cheese,
Stir the cheese into the beans and stir occasionally until the cheese is melted. Add a little salt to taste. The beans will be creamy and yummy looking. Simmer for a few minutes. The beans will thicken up some while they sit to cool.
Good luck Lavon! Hope you like them!
2 comments:
Thanks Tony! As soon as I get an range, I can cook 'um. It looks (thanks to the pictures) easy enough, I can hardly wait till I can try and make a batch!!
Thanks again Tony,
C-ya at the field!
Lavon
Yum!!! That's one thing about living in Washington...none of grama's bean burritos or tamales. :(
Post a Comment