Monday, November 16, 2009

"I Don't Like People"

I said this out loud at a Beth Moore Bible Study at our church recently. I'm pretty sure at that moment the ladies at the table decided to stop talking to me. Beth had just said something to the effect that the people in our lives are part of our spiritual inheritance. Over the past couple of years I have done some retreating into myself and have weeded (is that even a word?) some people out of my life. I think I am left with a seriously minimal amount of people as my spiritual inheritance.

The thing is, I like the people I am left with. Why can't they be enough? Do I still need to welcome people into my life? And to what extent?

I have made some new friends this year with the development of our travel team. We have some great parents on this team and I like them all. So, they're all part of my spiritual inheritance, right?

I think my problem with letting people in is, I'm a terrible judge of character. I never can see the less than desirable aspects of the people around me. Tim on the other hand is usually right on. It took me a long time to accept that about him. It always made me so mad that when we met someone new that I thought was pretty cool and he would say, Meh. UGH! But, in the end it always turns out he's right. Now, and it only took me 10 or so years, I trust his first instinct right away.

I guess the moral of this story is, if I meet you on the street and Timmy says you're cool then, we can be friends. Just Kidding!!

But really, I am working on wanting to let more people in. Last week I got myself a Pen Pal. Her name is Lori and I like her a lot. I'm excited for her to be part of my spiritual inheritance.

I doubt Lori will be the last person but, I don't know how this is going to go with anybody else. I guess that's the part you pray about and have faith in the Lord.

No comments: