It's funny how when you are growing up you think what your family does for certain holidays is what everybody does. It was that way for me with regards to Christmas.
Every year my Dads family would get together the weekend before Christmas to make Tamales. I don't even know how many dozens of Tamales they would end up with but it was enough to eat Christmas morning and for everyone to take some home. My Dad is one of nine children so, yeah, that's a lot of tamales. At my Moms parents, they made Tamales the morning of Christmas Eve for us to eat that night.
So for me, Christmas = Tamales.
It wasn't until I was a Senior in high school did I learn "white people" ate turkey and ham for Christmas dinner. I was at my best friend Malinda's house one day and we were looking in her fridge and she commented how her mom had gotten the turkey for Christmas dinner. I was shocked! I guess in my mind, I figured everyone ate Tamales for Christmas. Needless to say, she laughed at me.
Flash forward to last night. Timmy, Tuesday, and I were watching Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas in bed. It's a few of Disney's Christmas cartoons. There is one with Donald Ducks nephews and it's about their Christmas day. Anyway, there is a scene where the family is eating Christmas dinner and the Aunt says something like, "Yum, Turkey". For the poor Duck Nephews this day happens over and over again until they learn the true meaning of Christmas (not Jesus by the way, this is Disney). So finally after the fourth time of hearing this line, Tuesday says:
People eat Turkey for Christmas???
I laughed so hard. See, it's not just me! She cracks me up.
Here is Mickeys Once Upon A Christmas for your enjoyment.
No comments:
Post a Comment